DirecTV to launch seven new local HD markets

DirecTV says it will soon launch local HD channels in 7 new markets, which will reach an additional 133 U.S. cities. First on the list is the Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA market, which will get local HD on July 9. Coming soon on Aug. 9, Shreveport, LA will get local HD.

On Sept. 9, DirecTV will add Charleston-Huntington, W. VA, Columbia, S.C., and Huntsville-Decatur, AL. Finally, on Oct. 9, DirecTV will add local HD channels in Jackson, MS and in Lexington, KY.

The added cities will bring DirecTV’s local HD channel coverage to 91-percent of U.S. households. Currently, DirecTV covers 89-percent of U.S. households.

DirecTV will provide local HD programming from the primary broadcast networks which include ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. Subscribers must have the CHOICE programming package and continue to pay the $10 access fee for HD channels.

PinIt
Jeff Chabot

Jeff Chabot

Jeff Chabot writes about technology, broadcasting, and digital entertainment. You can also find him on Gameverse, Gadget Review, and Google+.

9 Replies to “DirecTV to launch seven new local HD markets”

1. Alexander says:

Get an external antenna added to your setup and you can watch all your locals in HD over-the-air at no cost…

Many DirecTV boxes support and external antenna input..

2. Ronnie says:

Question… I get Baton Rouge locals as primary(they are HD) Jackson is my secondary (i forget the tech term) but they are not in HD.. Will they be or not since they are secondary… I Have called Tech support and they are confused(but nice) and don’t know.

3. JC says:

As an added note…I have a wife, kids, and a job. Premium channels like Starz and Cinemax faded away somewhere in the mix. If I have to watch family programming on national networks, shouldn’t I at least be able to enjoy them in HD?

4. John S says:

I agree. They should offer as a free service – since they are free over the air anyway

5. Philip says:

I think that we should not have to pay $10.00 each mounth to get HD programming as I can get it over the air so why should I have to pay more.

6. AndyS says:

I second what Geoff said — we care! Perhaps even more than the local programming, we’d like to be able to watch the national broadcast networks in high definition, rather than being stuck as some of the last areas having to watch them in SD.

Of course, once that goes live here we can start demanding channels like BBC America, MSNBC and Travel Channel in HD. ;)

7. freddieS says:

I agree. Some of the best programming is on the locals. – local news, sports, and some TV shows are all I watch.

8. Geoff says:

Those of us that live in those markets care a LOT.

9. Maxx says:

Who the heck care about these market locals? We already have the TOP markets covered, DirecTV better get off their high and mighty and start bringing on more non-pay NATIONAL feeds are more and more will start jumping ship to Dish and Uverse. Those companies that care a little more about the average consumer and not the Sports or whatever the reason, local TV fanatic!!!!!