Amazon introduced its latest version of the Fire TV Cube which arrives on October 25, 2022 – 3 years after the 2nd generation hit stores in 2019.
The new Fire TV Cube improves performance with an Octa-core processor (4x 2.2GHz 4x 2.0GHz) that is said to be 2x as powerful as the Fire TV Stick 4K Max. The previous model ran on a Hexa-core processor (Quad-core at up to 2.2GHz).
Surprisingly, the new Cube has not improved memory, storage, or graphic processing, with 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, and 800MHz GPU, respectively.
One of the most notable upgrades is in Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity, with support for Category 6e that can exceed 1000 BASE-TX data transmission (the first streaming media player to do so). However, most home networks currently don’t support the 6Ghz band so it may be a moot point for now. You would need a router such as the eero Pro 6e to utilize. Out-of-the-box Bluetooth support has also updated to 5.2 + LE.
The biggest difference, visually, is the new Fire TV Cube has a mesh outside giving it the appearance of a speaker (which it is!). Like previous models, the Fire TV Cube offers hands-free Alexa with a built-in microphone that can control compatible TVs, soundbars, and receivers.
The new Fire TV Cube is also a bit heavier (17.9 oz vs. 16.4 oz) but slightly smaller by just millimeters at 86 mm x 86 mm x 77 mm.
The 3rd-gen Fire TV Cube is pricier though. While the 1st-generation and 2nd-generation models both released at $119, the 3rd-generation Fire TV Cube hits stores with a list price of $139 – $20 more than previous models.
Fire TV Cube 3rd-Gen Features
- Our fastest-ever streaming media player – Brings lightning-fast app starts with an octa-core processor and is 2X as powerful as Fire TV Stick 4K Max.
- Hands-free Alexa with built-in mic and speakers – Control your compatible TV, soundbar, and receivers with your voice, even from across the room.
- Seamlessly navigate between your entertainment – Connect compatible devices and easily go from streaming to your cable box, game console, or webcam.
- Smoother streaming with the latest in wifi tech – The first-ever streaming media player that features Wi-Fi 6E support.
- Picture quality that puts on a show – Feel every scene with true-to-life, cinematic 4K and support for Dolby Vision, HDR, and Dolby Atmos audio.
- Endless entertainment – Stream more than 1 million movies and TV episodes. Watch favorites from Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Peacock, and more, plus listen to millions of songs. Subscription fees may apply.
- Designed to protect your privacy – Built with privacy protections and controls, including an off button that electronically disconnects the microphones.
- Manage your smart home right on screen – Use Alexa to start video calls, check the weather, get a live view of your Ring cameras, and more.
See a spec comparison of Fire TV Cube 2nd & 3rd Generation models.