Giuseppe Tornatore’s Oscar-winning film Cinema Paradiso has been remastered for Ultra HD Blu-ray and a new 1080p Blu-ray special edition. Awarded the “Best Foreign Language Film” of 1988, the 124-minute theatrical verion of the movie releases to 4k Blu-ray for the first time on Sept. 29, 2020.
Unfortunately the 50-minute longer Director’s Cut, which delves deeper into the story of Salvatore ‘Totò’ Di Vita, will not be presented in 4k.
On Ultra HD Blu-ray, the film is presented in 2160p resolution with HDR10 High Dynamic Range. Audio is provided in uncompressed original stereo 2.0 as well as 5.1 surround sound. Subtitles are offered in English.
Bonus features include audio commentary with director Giuseppe Tornatore and Italian cinema expert critic Millicent Marcus, a 52-minute documentary profile of Giuseppe Tornatore, a 27-minute documentary on the making of Cinema Paradiso, and more.
Cinema Paradiso Special Features
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of the 124 minute theatrical version
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the 174 minute Director s Cut
- Uncompressed original stereo 2.0 Audio and 5.1 surround sound option
- Optional English subtitles
- Audio commentary with director Giuseppe Tornatore and Italian cinema expert critic Millicent Marcus
- A Dream of Sicily A 52-minute documentary profile of Giuseppe Tornatore featuring interviews with the director and extracts from his early home movies as well as interviews with director Francesco Rosi and painter Peppino Ducato, set to music by the legendary Ennio Morricone
- A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise A 27-minute documentary on the making of Cinema Paradiso and the characters of Toto and Alfredo, featuring interviews the actors who play them, Philippe Noiret and Salvatore Cascio as well as Tornatore
- The Kissing Sequence Giuseppe Tornatore discusses the origins of the kissing scenes with clips identifying each scene
- Original Director s Cut Theatrical Trailer and 25th Anniversary Re-Release Trailer