It still seems strange to see Matt Damon with a pony tail, but for those of you who missed The Great Wall in theaters (and many did, only making about $35M in North America), it will soon be available on disc and digital. And, to the delight of home theater enthusiasts will print to 4k Blu-ray Disc as well.
The Great Wall is scheduled to release first on Digital HD on May 9, followed by Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, and On Demand two weeks later on May 23, 2017.
All home media formats of The Great Wall (including DVD and Digital HD) will include quite a bit of bonus material such as deleted scenes, a personal behind-the-scenes look at Matt Damon shooting the film in China, visual effects, and several other production featurettes.
Each 2-disc Blu-ray edition also includes a Digital HD copy redeemable with iTunes or UltraViolet.
On Blu-ray, The Great Wall is presented in 2.40:1 aspect ratio at 1080p with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack in English language. On Ultra HD Blu-ray, video is presented in 2.39:1 aspect ratio at 2160p with HDR color specifications. The 4k BD also includes a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.
Pre-orders of The Great Wall are currently priced $24.99 (Blu-ray), $29.99 (Ultra HD Blu-ray), $19.99 (DVD), and $14.99 (Digital HD) on Amazon.
‘The Great Wall’ Blu-ray, DVD & Digital HD Bonus Features:
- Deleted Scenes
- Matt Damon in China – A personal, behind-the-scenes look at Matt Damon’s experience shooting The Great Wall in China. Featuring previously unseen footage of his preparation.
- The Great Wall Visual Effects – VFX Supervisor Phil Brennan discusses the visual effects of The Great Wall.
- Working with Director Zhang Yimou – Cast and crew discuss their reverence for the director.
- Man vs. Monster – An exploration of the characters involved and the techniques used (SFX, stunts, VFX) in each of the three battles.
- Weapons of War – A behind-the-scenes look at the huge undertaking required to create the weaponry for the film. Filmmakers discuss the ancient Chinese history and the mythology of the movie that influenced all of the designs.
- Designing a Spectacular World – Production designer John Mhyre and Costume Designer Mayes Rubeo discuss how they designed the incredible sets and costumes.
Starring global superstar Matt Damon and directed by one of the most celebrated visual stylists of our time, Zhang Yimou (Hero, House of Flying Daggers), THE GREAT WALL tells the story of an elite force making a valiant stand for humanity on the world’s most iconic structure. When a mercenary warrior (Damon) is imprisoned within the Great Wall, he discovers the mystery behind one of the greatest wonders of the world. As wave after wave of marauding beasts besiege the massive structure, his quest for fortune turns into a journey toward heroism as he joins a huge army of elite warriors to confront the unimaginable and seemingly unstoppable force. – Universal