Paramount Home Media has announced the release date for the sci-fi blockbuster Interstellar starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Michael Caine. The film will first release to Digital HD format on March 17, 2015, followed two weeks later by Blu-ray, DVD, and rental options on March 31. For a limited time, Paramount will include an authentic, collectible Interstellar film cell from an original 70mm IMAX print of the film within a 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack. [Editor’s Note: The film cell was advertised in the Best Buy and Walmart exclusive editions, but both are currently sold-out online. However, copies are available in limited quantities in-store.]
The Combo Pack will include one Blu-ray Disc with the feature film in 1080p HD, a DVD with the film in standard definition, and a Digital HD copy to redeem via UltraViolet or iTunes. A second Blu-ray Disc in the combo will include three hours of bonus content, with behind-the-scenes footage, making-of featurettes, trailers, and interviews with cast and crew. (See the full list of extras below.)
The Blu-ray Disc holding the main feature is formatted in 1080p HD video with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack, while the second BD is formatted in 1080p HD with English 2.0 Dolby Digital. The standard-definition DVD is formatted in 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen with English 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack.
The Intersteller 3-Disc Combo Pack Blu-ray carries an MSRP of $39.99, while the DVD has an MSRP of $29.99. The film is rated PG-13 for some intense perilous action and brief strong language.
Intersteller Blu-ray Bonus Disc contents:
- The Science of Interstellar—Extended cut of the broadcast special.
- Plotting an Interstellar Journey—Discusses the film’s origins, influences and narrative designs.
- Life on Cooper’s Farm—Bringing Americana and the grounded nature of a farm to a sci-fi space movie.
- The Dust—Learn how cast and crew avoided sand blindness, and see how to create, and clean up after, a catastrophic dust storm.
- TARS and CASE—Designing and building these unique characters and how they were brought to life on set and in the film.
- Cosmic Sounds—The concepts, process, and recording of Hans Zimmer’s unforgettable score.
- The Space Suits—A look at the design and build of the suits and helmets, and what it was like to wear them.
- The Endurance—Explore this massive set with a guided tour by production designer Nathan Crowley.
- Shooting in Iceland: Miller’s Planet/Mann’s Planet—Travel with the cast and crew to Iceland and see the challenges they faced in creating two vastly different worlds in one country.
- The Ranger and the Lander—A look at the other two spaceships in the film.
- Miniatures in Space—Marvel at the large-scale models used in the explosive docking sequence.
- The Simulation of Zero-G—Discover the various methods that the filmmakers used to create a zero gravity environment.
- Celestial Landmarks—Explore how the filmmakers used practical special effects informed by real scientific equations to give the illusion of real space travel for both the actors and the audience.
- Across All Dimensions and Time—A look at the concept and design of the Tesseract, which incorporated a practical set rather than a green screen.
- Final Thoughts—The cast and crew reflect back on their Interstellar experience.
- Theatrical Trailers