We recently polled our readers to find out if they are still buying Blu-ray Discs, or are choosing to go completely digital. We also asked what is holding them back from buying digital media, and if they expect Blu-ray Discs disappear from stores 5 years from now (as have audio CDs for the most part). Finally, we ask whether or not 4k media will prompt them to purchase a 4k TV in the near future. What we found is our readers are not giving up Blu-ray any time soon.
Here are the responses.
Are you still buying Blu-ray Discs?
- 10% responded “No”
- 90% responded “Yes”
If you do still buy Blu-ray Discs, why? (Multiple answers)
- 54% selected “Extra Bonus Material”
- 38% selected “Multiple Formats (BD, DVD, Digital)”
- 30% selected “Sale price can be lower than Digital HD”
- 58% selected “Still like physical discs”
What is holding you back from buying only Digital HD? (Multiple answers)
- 64% selected “Still like physical discs”
- 24% selected “Lack of bandwidth for streaming/download”
- 32% selected “Hard drive (local) storage”
- 26% included “Prices” as a reason for not buying Digital HD.
Do you see Blu-ray Discs still in stores 5 years from now?
- 24% answered “No”
- 76% answered “Yes”
If/when 4k Blu-ray Discs become available, will you buy a 4k TV?
- 34% answered “No”
- 66% answered “Yes”
If/when 4k movies are sold on Flash (USB) drives, will you buy a 4k TV?
- 48% answered “No”
- 52% answered “Yes”
We appreciate everyone who participated in the poll! Please take our current poll “What is the Best Blu-ray Disc Mid-2015?”