We first heard about a 4k release of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) back in March but were missing some of the core details of the re-issue of the sci-fi classic such as audio formats, HDR specification, and what bonus materials might be included.
It turns out there will also be a newly-remastered Blu-ray edition of the film (pictured below). Both Blu-ray releases come from a newly remastered transfer of 2001: A Space Odyssey celebrating 50 years since its theatrical premiere.
The 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray presents the sci-fi classic in 2160p resolution at 2.2:1 (16×9) aspect ratios with High Dynamic Range color. The soundtrack has also been upgraded to a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, as well as the original 6-track theatrical audio mix that’s formatted for DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.
The premium, 4k Blu-ray edition of 2001: A Space Odyssey includes the film on Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray (with the newly remastered print) and a Digital Copy. Extras include a collectible booklet, collectible art cards, and a Blu-ray disc with plenty of bonus features (in HD).
2001: A Space Odyssey on Ultra HD Blu-ray carries an MSRP of $41.99 while the Blu-ray edition is priced $19.99. The discs will hit stores on October 30, 2018. .See below for updated pricing.
- Audio Commentary from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
- Remastered Blu-ray with Commentary from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
- Channel Four Documentary: The Making of a Myth
- Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001
- Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001
- 2001: A Space Odyssey – A Look Behind the Future
- What Is Out There?
- 2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork
- Look: Stanley Kubrick!
- 11/27/66 Interview with Stanley Kubrick by Jeremy Bernstein [Audio Only]
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Premium Booklet
- Art Cards
- Subtitles: English, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, Canadian French, Brazilian Portuguese