Packaged media in the form Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, and DVD will arrive in stores on January 19th, 2015, along with On Demand rental options from TV providers and online services.
On Blu-ray, Everest is formatted in 2.40:1 widescreen aspect ratio with an immersive Dolby Atmos soundtrack in English (also in Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0 for those without Dolby Atmos-supporting audio equipment). Total run-time of the film is 2 hours, 2 minutes not including bonus features listed below.
Everest will be available in both 2-disc and 3-disc combo editions with a DVD and Digital HD copy via UltraViolet or iTunes. The Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D editions are currently available to pre-order for $24.99 and $29.99 (Amazon), respectively.
Exclusive Blu-ray Bonus Features:
- LEARNING TO CLIMB: THE ACTOR’S JOURNEY – Cast members and the two film consultants who helped them prepare for the shoot discuss getting ready for the arduous production.
- A MOUNTAIN OF WORK: RECREATING EVEREST – Bringing Everest to life required the filmmakers to recreate the mountain through state-of-the-art studio work and visual effects. The teams involved talk about how they made the seemingly impossible possible.
Blu-ray & DVD Bonus Features:
- RACE TO THE SUMMIT: THE MAKING OF EVEREST – The trials and tribulations of cast and crew as they journey to the foothills of Everest and beyond, battling the elements and forming deep bonds along the way.
- ASPIRING TO AUTHENTICITY: THE REAL STORY – Recollections of the tragic events of May 10, 1996, from those who were there, as the cast and filmmakers discuss bringing this harrowing tale to life with authenticity and respect.
- FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR BALTASAR KORMAKUR