The epic ending to the three-part ‘Hobbit’ trilogy has been released to Digital HD format today, predating the Blu-ray, DVD, and On Demand rental options on March 24th. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is available from all the major digital video distributors including Amazon Instant Video, Apple iTunes, CinemaNow, and Walmart’s Vudu among others.
The price of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies from most services is $14.99 for Standard Definition and $19.99 for High Definition quality. However, you might want to look at who is offering bonus content with the digital purchase. CinemaNow, iTunes and Vudu all include bonus features such as “Completing Middle-Earth: A Seventeen Year Journey,” “Completing Middle-Earth: A Six-Part Saga,” “The Last Goodbye: Behind the Scenes,” “New Zealand: Home of Middle-Earth – Part 3,” and “Five Armies Bonus: Recruiting the Five Armies.”
If you’re building your digital movie collection, UltraViolet-supporting digital services include CinemaNow, Target, Verizon FiOS On Demand, and Walmart’s Vudu.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Digital HD/SD Price Comparison*
- Amazon Instant Video – $19.99 (HD) $14.99 (SD)
- Apple iTunes – $19.99 (HD) $14.99 (SD) – Includes iTunes Extras
- Cinema Now – $20.99 (HD) – Includes Bonus Material
- Flixster – NA
- Google Play – $19.99 (HD) $14.99 (SD)
- Sony Entertainment Network – $19.99 (HD) $14.99 (SD)
- Target Ticket – $19.99 (HD) $14.99 (SD)
- Verizon FiOS On Demand – $19.99 (HD) $15.99 (SD)
- Vudu (Walmart) – $19.99 (HD/HDX) $14.99 (SD) – Includes Bonus Material
- Xbox Video – $19.99 (HD) $14.99 (SD)
- Xfinity On Demand – $21.99 (HD) $18.99 (SD)
*Prices at time of article publication.