DirecTV has announced the first live broadcast in the US featuring 4k video embedded with HDR (High Dynamic Range). The color enhancement, only available on 4k TVs that support HDR, add increased color depth, saturation and luminosity for life-like video images.
The live, HDR broadcast will feature an NHL matchup between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Vegas Golden Knights on Dec. 14 at 10 p.m. ET — a simulcast of the game on NHL Network.
AT&T’s DIRECTV will also broadcast 13 NBA games in 4K HDR during the 2017/2018 season, as well as English Premiere League matches, the annual Rose Parade, and women’s college basketball.
DIRECTV offers three fully dedicated 4K TV channels (104, 106 and PPV channel 105), featuring live and previously recorded documentaries, concerts, series and pay-per-view events.
The slate of live 4K HDR will feature:
- The Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Vegas Golden Knights on Dec. 14 at 10 p.m. ET simulcast of NHL Network.
- The Brian Setzer Orchestra’s 14th annual “Christmas Rocks!” concert Live from the Granada Theatre in Santa Barbara, Calif. on Monday, Dec. 18 at 8 p.m. PT.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Milwaukee Bucks on Dec. 19 at 8 p.m. from NBA TV
- Women’s college basketball University of Connecticut vs. Duquesne on Dec. 22 at 7 p.m. ET simulcasts of SNY.
- The Toronto Raptors vs. Oklahoma City Thunder on Dec. 27 at 8 p.m. ET from NBA TV.
- The annual Rose Parade. Live from Los Angeles on Jan. 1 at 11:00 am ET simulcasts of HGTV.
- Plus more of the best NBA TV games (13 planned) throughout the regular season!