Canon has announced July availability of the new PowerShot G3 X compact camera. Called a “premium” model in Canon’s press release, the digital camera features a 1″ 20.2MP High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor, Digic 6 Image Processor for vivid shots even in low lighting situations (also used in the G7 X), and Full HD 1080p video recording at 24p, 30p, or 60p.
But, the feature everyone is talking about is the camera’s 24-600mm equivalent 25x optical zoom lens. With F-stops as low as 2.8-5.6 (depending on zoom), and improved 5-axis Intelligent Image Stabilization, the compact lens is a step up in its class.
To highlight a few practical features, the G3 X has an ISO range of 125-12,800, continuous shooting at 5.9 frames-per-second, and the option to shoot in RAW, JPEG or RAW+JPEG recording formats.
We haven’t tested the G3 yet, but we’re anxious to see if the camera is worth the $999 sticker price that’s quite a bit higher than most compact cameras with similar specs.
Canon PowerShot G3 X Premium Compact Camera Specifications Summary:
- One-inch, 20.2 Megapixel High Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
- Canon DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- 24-600mm equivalent, f/2.8-5.6 25x Optical Power Zoom Lens
- Improved Five-Axis Intelligent IS
- Dust- and water-resistance (approx. equivalent to EOS 70D)
- Multi-Angle, 3.2-inch 1.62-million dot capacitive touch panel LCD screen
- 1080p Full HD video (24p, 30p, 60p), Live HDMI output
- External stereo microphone and headphone jacks
- EOS-inherited control layout
- 31-point High Speed AF system
- Wi-Fi and NFC enabled
- Compatible with a variety of Canon EOS system accessories