Stop-motion animation film Coraline will be coming to Blu-ray July 21st. Limited releases of the Blu-ray Disc “combo pack” and 2-Disc Collector’s Edition DVD will carry both 2-D and 3-D versions of the film, as well as four pairs of 3-D glasses and a digital copy of the film. The Blu-ray Disc release also includes a standard-def version, and additional features.
The film was written and directed by Henry Selick (director of The Nightmare Before Christmas) and is based on the award-winning novel by Neil Gaiman. It is the first stop-motion feature produced in stereoscopic 3-D, and the first feature film from Portland Oregon-based animation studio LAIKA.
The Blu-ray Disc runs 1 hour and 40 minutes and is presented in 1080p with a 1.85:1 widescreen format.
The Blu-ray version of Coraline has a suggested retail price of $39.98 (currently $27.99 on Amazon). The 2-Disc Collector’s Edition DVD is priced at $34.98 MSRP and the single disc DVD is priced at $29.98 MSRP.
Here are the exclusive Blu-ray features:
- U-CONTROL on 2-D – Universal’s exclusive signature feature allows viewers to delve into the making of the film (via picture-in-picture) with the click of the remote without ever leaving the movie.
- Creepy Coraline – Director and screenwriter Henry Selick and Coraline author Neil Gaiman take fans deeper into the darker intricacies of Coraline’s alternative worlds.
- BD-LIVE – Fans can access exclusive online and interactive features through their Internet connected Blu-ray player including:
- “My Scenes Sharing” and “The World According to Henry” – a feature in which director Henry Selick discusses his approach to the film adaptation of the award-winning book and what he loves about Coraline.
Features available on both Blu-ray and the 2-Disc Collectors Edition DVD:
- Deleted Scenes
- The Making of Coraline” – Director and screenwriter Henry Selick hosts this behind the scenes feature about how this hand-crafted, stop-motion animated film was made.
- Voicing the Characters – Coraline’s acclaimed cast and filmmaker Henry Selick talk about their experiences working on the film, including defining the perfect voice for their characters.
- Digital Copy of Coraline – Transfer the included digital copy to your iPod, Mac or PC and experience Coraline anywhere, anytime!
- Feature commentary with director Henry Selick & composer Bruno Coulais (also on standard DVD).