Criterion Collection has taken the 5-time Oscar-winner The Silence of the Lambs and restored the original film in 4k for this Special Edition Blu-ray and DVD release. The movie has previously been printed to numerous Blu-ray editions, but this new restoration was approved by director of photography Tak Fujimoto and includes a new interview with critic Maitland McDonagh.
Other bonus material includes audio commentary, 35 minutes of deleted scenes, documentary shorts, a 2005 interview from 2005 with director Jonathan Demme and Jodie Foster, and an original behind-the-scenes featurette among other extras.
While the film was restored in 4k, Criterion’s restored The Silence of the Lambs is presented in 1080p on Blu-ray and 480p on DVD. The soundtrack is provided in 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio with alternate sound in 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio.
The Silence of the Lambs Special Edition from Criterion Collection is scheduled to release on February 13, 2018.
Synopsis: In this chilling adaptation of the best-selling novel by Thomas Harris, the astonishingly versatile director Jonathan Demme crafted a taut psychological thriller about an American obsession: serial murder. As Clarice Starling, an FBI trainee who enlists the help of the infamous Hannibal ‘the Cannibal’ Lecter to gain insight into the mind of another killer, Jodie Foster subverts classic gender dynamics and gives one of the most memorable performances of her career. As her foil, Anthony Hopkins is the archetypical antihero cultured, quick-witted, and savagely murderous delivering a harrowing portrait of humanity gone terribly wrong. A gripping police procedural and a disquieting immersion into a twisted psyche, The Silence of the Lambs swept the Academy Awards (best picture, best director, best screenplay, best actress, best actor) and remains a cultural touchstone.
TWO-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
– New 4K digital restoration, approved by director of photography Tak Fujimoto, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
– Alternate 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
– Audio commentary from 1994 featuring director Jonathan Demme, actors Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins, screenwriter Ted Tally, and former FBI agent John Douglas
– New interview with critic Maitland McDonagh
– Thirty-five minutes of deleted scenes
– Interview from 2005 with Demme and Foster
– Inside the Labyrinth, a 2001 documentary
– Page to Screen, a 2002 program about the adaptation
– Scoring ‘The Silence,’ a 2004 interview program featuring composer Howard Shore
– Understanding the Madness, a 2008 program featuring interviews with retired FBI special agents
– Original behind-the-scenes featurette
– PLUS: A book featuring a new introduction by Foster; an essay by critic Amy Taubin; an account of the origins of the character Hannibal Lecter by author Thomas Harris; and a 1991 interview with Demme
[amazon_link asins=’B077HP1DSS’ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’API-user-hdr’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’bead066e-d5d5-11e7-b442-2946b4ea323e’]