Based on many of the recommendations and comments received from Xbox Feedback, Microsoft has detailed what to expect from the next Xbox One update. The update will first be available to those with early access, then next month, all Xbox One consoles will be able to get the update. Social features are the main focus of the update, as well as Blu-ray 3D support for the Blu-ray player app, expanded OneGuide live TV listings into Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland, and low battery notification for the Xbox One controller.
Social features will be improved in the Activity feed, which will allow more user interaction with the feed such as likes, comments, and game clip sharing. The Friends area on the Home screen will keep you up-to-date with your friends’ scores. The August update will also feature the ability to make mobile purchases using SmartGlass and Xbox.com (your console can be set to automatically download while you’re away). And, feedback from console owners asked for the ability to enable or disable notifications — a wish that has been granted.
Details of the Xbox One August, 2014 system update come via the Major Nelson blog posted today.
Xbox One August 2014 Updates:
- Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
- Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market.
- Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.
- Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
- Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.
- Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
- OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month’s Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.
- Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”