The much acclaimed HBO series Game of Thrones is headed for Blu-ray Disc and DVD on March 6, 2012 — a month before Season 2 starts in April. The 5-disc sets (both BD and DVD) will contain all 10 episodes of Season 1, along with plenty of extras such as character profiles, interviews, production featurettes, and never-before-scene footage. (See below for all bonus features.) The LA Times says Game of Thrones is “tantalizing.” The Boston Globe calls it an “HBO Triumph.” You can believe all the hype or check out an episode yourself on HBO or HBO GO before the discs release (view schedule). The Blu-ray Disc will carry an MSRP of $79.98, and the DVD $59.99. Both editions are currently available to pre-order for 25-30% less than the MSRP.
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season on Blu-ray – includes all DVD features plus:
- Blu-ray Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one, PLUS 24 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms as told by the characters themselves done with animated illustrations that provide more information on the background of Game of Thrones.
- In-Episode Guide – in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories while each episode plays.
- Anatomy of an Episode – an in-episode experience that explores the creative minds and colossal efforts behind episode six, “A Golden Crown.”
- Hidden Dragon Eggs – find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season on DVD includes:
- Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one.
- Making Game of Thrones -an exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set and interviews from the cast and crew.
- Character Profiles – profiles of 15 major characters as described by the actors portraying them.
- Creating the Show Open – an inside look at the creation of the Emmy-winning opening title sequence for Game of Thrones.
- From the Book to the Screen – executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss along with author George R.R. Martin talk about the challenges of bringing Martin’s epic fantasy novel to life on HBO.
- The Night’s Watch – an in-depth look at the unique order of men who patrol and protect the Wall, a 700 foot ice structure that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the darkness beyond.
- Creating the Dothraki Language – an insightful glance into the comprehensive language created for the Dothraki people in Game of Thrones.
- Audio Commentaries – Seven audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Bryan Cogman, Harry Lloyd, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor.