Sofia Coppola’s The Virgin Suicides has been digitally remastered for release on Blu-ray Disc from Criterion Collection on April 24, 2018. This new edition from a 4k restoration was supervised by cinematographer Ed Lachman and approved by Coppola, and features a 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.
And, while the 1999 film has been available previously on Blu-ray and DVD, this new edition includes new interviews with Coppola, Lachman, actors Kirsten Dunst and Josh Hartnett, author Jeffrey Eugenides, and writer Tavi Gevinson. There are also several other bonus features such as the Making of the The Virgin Suicides (1998), an official music video for Air’s soundtrack song ‘Playground Love,’ an essay by novelist Megan Abbott, trailer, and the 1998 short film by Coppola titled “Lick the Star.”
Description: With this debut feature, Sofia Coppola announced her singular vision, which explores the aesthetics of femininity while illuminating the interior lives of young women. A faithful adaptation of Jeffrey Eugenides’s popular first novel, THE VIRGIN SUICIDES conjures the ineffable melancholy of teenage longing and ennui in its story of the suicides of the five Lisbon sisters, stifled by the rules of their overprotective religious parents as told through the collective memory of a group of boys who yearn to understand what happened. Evoking its 1970s suburban setting through ethereal cinematography by Ed Lachman and an atmospheric score by Air, the film secured a place for its director in the landscape of American independent cinema and has become a coming-of-age touchstone.
The Virgin Suicides from Criterion Collection carries an MSRP of $39.99 US. (See pre-order pricing from Amazon below.)
Director-Approved Blu-ray Special Edition Features
– New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Ed Lachman and approved by director Sofia Coppola, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
– New interviews with Coppola, Lachman, actors Kirsten Dunst and Josh Hartnett, author Jeffrey Eugenides, and writer Tavi Gevinson
– MAKING OF ‘THE VIRGIN SUICIDES’ a 1998 documentary directed by Eleanor Coppola and featuring Sofia Coppola; Eleanor and Francis Ford Coppola; actors Dunst, Hartnett, Scott Glenn, Kathleen Turner, and James Woods; Eugenides; and more
– LICK THE STAR, a 1998 short film by Coppola
– Official music video for Air’s soundtrack song ‘Playground Love,’ directed and shot by Coppola and her brother Roman Coppola
– PLUS: An essay by novelist Megan Abbott