Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release Pete’s Dragon to Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and On Demand on November 29, 2016. The David Lowery remake of the 1977 musical debuted in theaters, including Disney Digital 3-D and RealD 3D cinemas, on August 12, 2016. Unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be a 3D edition of Pete’s Dragon available to pre-order, at least not yet, nor has an Ultra HD Blu-ray edition of the film been announced.
Video on the Blu-ray edition of Pete’s Dragon is presented in 1080p, backed by a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack. Extras include the featurettes “Notes to Self: A Director’s Diary,” “Making Magic,” “Disappearing Moments,” and “Welcome to New Zealand.” There are also music videos from The Lumineers and Lindsey Stirling, as well as audio commentary and bloopers.
Pete’s Dragon is available to preorder from some retailers including Amazon, Best Buy, and Target for $24.99 – $27.99 (Blu-ray), or $19.99 (DVD).
The film was written by David Lowery and Toby Halbrooks, directed by Lowery, and stars Bryce Dallas Howard, Robert Redford, Oakes Fegley, Wes Bentley and Karl Urban.
Pete’s Dragon Special Features:
- Notes to Self: A Director’s Diary – Director David Lowery narrates the personal diary he kept through the filming of “Pete’s Dragon” in this intimate and fascinating look at the movie’s making.
- Making Magic – Discover fun facts about what went into designing this spectacular, lovable dragon.
- “Disappearing” Moments – The director shares a montage of the film’s “lost” scenes.
- Welcome to New Zealand – Experience the wonders of New Zealand and learn why it’s a magical place to visit … and to make a movie.
- Audio Commentary – Gain an insider perspective from director David Lowery, co-writer Toby Halbrooks and actors Oakes Fegley and Oona Laurence.
- Music Videos: “Nobody Knows” by The Lumineers & “Something Wild” by Lindsey Stirling featuring Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness