The bad news is the UltraViolet (UV) digital movie library is shutting down on July 31, 2019. The good news is you can save your digital titles to a service partnering with UV before it happens. Those services currently include FandangoNow, Kaleidescape (exclusive to Kaleidescape systems), and Vudu. (Previously, Paramount and Verizon FiOS were linked to UV.)
What To Do?
Be sure you have your UV account linked to at least one of the retailer services that will transfer your purchases. You can do this by going to myUV.com/retailers and clicking on your choice of digital retailers. Make sure you use the same email account for each service you use or sign up for. If not, you might consider changing your email address to match.
IMPORTANT: UltraViolet tells you not to unlink your UV account from any other services that you have connected.
Your titles should transfer automatically to the partnering service making them available to stream or download (if the service allows). After the shutdown on July 31, 2019, your UV library will be closed and no longer accessible. And, newly purchased or redeemed titles will not be added to the UltraViolet database.
- What should you do now?
- Login here and choose Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
- Don’t unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.
Between January 31 and July 31, 2019:
- You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
- You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
- Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.
After the shutdown date:
- Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
- You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
What we suggest doing is making sure all your digital purchases get transferred to Movies Anywhere. The Disney service is likely going to be around for a while, or at least until the next solution arises, and now streams in 4k Ultra HD. Most studios are partnering with Movies Anywhere. There are TV and media player apps to play MA titles, as well as on moviesanywhere.com.