Ever wished you could put all Peter Jackson’s Tolkien-inspired films into one package? The new 30-disc collection from Warner Bros. does just that. Now shipping or available to pre-order from several retailers, the $500 Middle-Earth Limited Collector’s Edition includes all three extended films from both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, and much more.
Along with all the bonus content previously included in the theatrical and extended editions of each trilogy, the Limited Collector’s Edition includes an exclusive 100-page sketch-style book with replica of “The Red Book of Westmarch,” and, original reproductions of watercolor paintings by conceptual artists Alan Lee and John Howe.
What’s more, all the discs can be stored in a one-of-a-kind Hobbit-style wood shelf (made of solid wood) that Peter Jackson himself approved for this special collector’s edition.
At the same time, Warner Bros. has released The Middle-Earth Theatrical Collection ($44.99) with all six films on six Blu-ray Discs along with Digital HD copies.
But if bonus content and extended editions are what you seek, the 30-disc edition is simply loaded with extra material. Here’s a breakdown of all the content.
Middle-Earth Ultimate Collector’s Edition Box Set Content & Special Features:
- For the first time ever, Academy Award-winning director Peter Jackson’s epic adventure is available in one spectacular limited collector’s edition box set.
- The Limited Collector’s Edition includes 30 discs featuring all six Middle-earth films in their extended edition forms, housed in six stunning faux leather books and a collectible Hobbit-style wood shelf. The one-of-a-kind wood shelf is crafted from solid wood with design selected by Peter Jackson.
- In addition to the extended edition release of every film, the collection also includes all previously released bonus content from both the theatrical and extended editions.
- Exclusive premiums designed for the collection include:
- Spectacular 100-page sketch-style book with replica The Red Book of Westmarch, filled with original film sketches and new artwork
- Original reproductions of exquisite watercolor paintings by acclaimed conceptual artists Alan Lee and John Howe, framable and wall-ready
- THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY – Follow Bilbo Baggins, who – along with the Wizard Gandalf and 13 Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield – is swept into an epic and treacherous quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor.
- THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG – Our heroes escape the giant Spiders and Wood-elves of Mirkwood before encountering the mysterious Bard, who smuggles them into Lake-town. Finally reaching the Lonely Mountain, they confront the Dragon Smaug.
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES – The Dwarves of Erebor have reclaimed their homeland, but face the consequences of unleashing Smaug. As five great armies go to war, Bilbo fights for his life, and the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must unite or be destroyed.
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING – With the help of a courageous fellowship of friends and allies, Frodo Baggins embarks on a perilous mission to destroy the legendary One Ring.
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS – In the middle chapter of this historic movie trilogy, the Fellowship is broken but its quest to destroy the One Ring continues.
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING – The final battle for Middle-earth begins. Frodo and Sam, led by Gollum, continue their dangerous mission toward the fires of Mount Doom in order to destroy the One Ring.